Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sgt White's Restaurant

We stopped at Sgt White's Restaurant for lunch when were were passing through Beaufort, SC, on our recent vacation and were in for a real surprise: great home cooking at a little hole-in-the-wall place. We had good food and left full--what more can you ask for? 

We walked into this place and I could only describe it as a "dive." But don't get the wrong impression, the food was good, the place was clean, and we had a great experience. Plastic/foam plates, plastic silverware, old fashioned tablecloths--it did not matter--the food was good and truly  home cooking.


I ordered the Pulled Pork plate with three sides, fried okra, corn, and mac n cheese. It was served with a nice big hunk of cornbread. The pork was great--it was tender and had a very nice smoky flavor that was not obscured by a lot of sauce. The fried okra was excellent, about the best I've ever had. The corn was very good though quite starchy--but that did not matter, it was cooked and flavored well. And the mac n cheese, though not very creamy, had a good cheesy flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal.


Tommy ordered the Pork Chop Plate. Wow! Two fried pork chops! Yumm, they were very tender and fried nicely. He also had the corn and mac n cheese, but also some sweet potato casserole that was very good, tender and flavorful.

The best part of the experience... when we first ordered, they were a bit busy. So she told us, just pay me later! So we didn't even pay until after we ate. No fancy POS or anything else here, just plenty of good food and good folk. I can see why the seemed to be doing a great take-out business. I'd eat here a lot if I lived nearby!
Sgt White's Restaurant on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment