Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fat Matt's Rib Shack


Fat Matt's Rib Shack rocks! I had eaten food from here once before, but that was when it was shipped to Orlando. Tonight I got to eat here "live" and it was very good. Fat Matt's is not a glamorous place, it's small and somewhat old, though well kept, The walls inside are full of placques and pictures. There are a number of tables on the crowded patio. 

When we arrived here, there was a line and so a wait, though not a long wait. It was worth it. The menu is limited, they sell pulled pork, ribs, and chicken, and a number of sides. But best to do a few things well, and Fat Matt's does these few things well. I ordered the ribs, a half slab, being a rib place. I also had some of a pulled pork sandwich. And for my sides I had the rum beans and coleslaw.

Where to start? The ribs were very good. Absolutely fall off the bone tender and well cooked. The were tender, succulent, and juicy. Of course, the falling off the bone part made them a bit difficult to eat. Fortunately, they are really finger food. And I sure used my fingers. The beans were very good and had a nice vinegar bite to them--I liked that. The coleslaw was OK, non-spectacular, but good. But I must say, the real star was the pulled pork. I could eat this every day, every week. It was outstanding. The pork had a nice smoky flavor that was not overpowering, and the sauce was excellent with a bit of vinegar and a hint of mustard. It also had a bit of heat--not too much, but a bit. An excellent sauce.

The night we were here, they had entertainment inside, which made it very loud and noisy inside. I'm not sure how those eating inside could stand it. Fortuately, we secured a seat outside. After you order, you get a card and sit down with your drinks, then they bring your meal to you when it's ready. It's a good system and seemed to work well. This is sort of a hole-in-the-wall place and has very limited parking, but don't mess with a good thing. Would I come back here? Most definitely. And next time, I think I'll get some of the pulled pork to take back home to Lake Mary, along with the sauce--it was that good. I guess the secret's in the sauce!
Fat Matt's Rib Shack on Urbanspoon

1 comment: