Monday, September 12, 2011

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches

I had a quick lunch recently at Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches in Lake Mary. I left with mixed feelings. Not bad. Not great. Kind of middle of the road with more minuses than pluses, I think. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt at this time and vote "like." I reserve the right to change that at a later date.

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches is a chain and they have sub sandwiches. We were greeted by a seeminly bored and somewhat disinterested young lady at the counter who talked in a quiet voice and quite fast. It was our first time but she sure did not take any pains to make us feel welcome or to help us out. But, after a few moments, we were able to order. We placed our order, accepted the suggested "make it a combo" question. and were handed our receipt. If she thanked us, I did not hear it. We had to ask where we pick up our sandwiches, to which she replied and motioned to the nearby counter. We found the drink machines, then went back to claim our chips, and by now the sandwiches were ready--we heard someone mention "ten and eleven," the numbers of our subs.

Upon sitting down, I looked around for napkins. I could not see any. I went back to the counter and asked the aforementioned young lady and she sort of gestured to the other end of the counter where there were a few (and only a few) scattered behind the counter. I guess I had to help myself, so I did.

The sandwich was OK, but only OK. The lettuce and tomatoes and meat all were good and fresh. And the bun (called french bread) was fresh. Maybe just a bit too fresh. It was just a bit doughy and a bit light in color--it should have been cooked another minute or two, it would have been much better. It was not bad, just not perfect. When there are so many choices for lunch, and so many sub shops, you really have to be perfect--this was not.

One of their claims to fame is speed. Indeed, we'd barely ordered our sandwiches when they were ready, so they really were speedy. And the prices are rather decent for the amount of food. It was good, just not great.
Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment