At last week's Alive After Five street party in downtown Sanford, I made the appetizers for Julie Kessler's "Earth to Metal" art opening show at Art Affair Gallery. My fair was simple yet, so I was told, delicious: Mexican Chili Slices served with a Mexican Sangria. Here's how I made it.
For the Mexican Chili Slices, start out by making your chili several days ahead of time:
For the Chili:
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Medium Hot Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Hungarian Half Sharp Paprika
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 oz. tomato paste
For the Vodka Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 24 oz. bottle ketchup
- 3/4 cup vodka
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chili powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher salt
- Juice of one fresh lemon
For the Chipotle Crema:
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 whole chipotle chili in adobo with the sauce
You will also need about 3-4 12" flour tortillas.
To assemble, warm the chili to just above room temperature to make it easy to handle. Spread about 3/4 cup chili on a tortilla, staying 1/2 inch from the edges. Roll up like a pinwheel, then roll in aluminum foil, pinching and twisting the ends, to make a round loaf like a sausage. Repeat, using all the chili. Refrigerate overnight to set.
The next day, unwrap the rolled chili and bias slice about 3/8 of an inch thick. You should get about 13-15 good slices per roll. Arrange on a platter and top each with a dollop of the Mexican Crema and a squirt of the Vodka Barbecue sauce. Garnish with a small piece of cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
For the Sangria de Mayo you'll need:
- 3 bottles inexpensive Merlot (I used turning Oak from Wal-Mart!)
- 3/4 cup fresh squeeze orange juice
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, cored, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 Large Granny Smith apple, cored, quartered and sliced thin
- Two large naval oranges, quartered and slice thin
- 1 Lime, quartered and sliced thin
- 2-3 fresh Lemons, quartered and sliced thin
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- 12 allspice berries
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 2-liter bottle lemon lime soda.
- assorted apples/oranges/lemons, sliced thin for serving.