Monday, March 29, 2010

Boston's Fish House

Newly opened Boston's Fish House in the Lake Mary/Sanford area is the third location for this small local chain. I had high hopes for this location based on my previous experiences at their other locations. I was not disappointed. 

We arrived here on a Saturday night around 7:30 or so to find a line outside the door. A very pleasant hostess told us it would be around 20 minutes or so and we decided to wait it out. No name taking--you just wait in line. The method of food ordering is somewhat unique here: you go to the counter and place your order, then are given a number. Another host/hostess will show you to a table as soon as one is available. The process seems to work quite well, al the tables stayed full and yet once the food was ordered, people did not have to wait any longer for a table. Good flow control I guess. 

We both ordered the Fish and Chips special which turned out to be nothing more than the "Fish Pieces" they had on the menu. It wasn't bad, but you do get an additional dose of the deep fried breading when your fish pieces are small. It was good, no doubt. For my sides I had the baked beans and coleslaw. The coleslaw was delicious, though a tad sweet for me. The baked beans were unremarkable--not bad, but a lot like boston baked beans you'd get out of a can. Maybe that's what boston baked beans are supposed to be like. 

We also shared an order of onion rings. My friend Tommy had the fries with his fish fry, but reported that they were just ordinary fries, nothing spectacular.

When you come to Boston's Fish House and order fried food, you get what you expect. However, they do have a nice select of fresh seasfood and you can order it prepared in a number of different ways, it does not have to be fried. So, expect good food from fresh seafood, cooked to order. I like this place and will be back again, I'm sure. I do have one complaint: their web site needs to be updated with information on this, their newest location! But that's a minor point. I like this place and will be back 
Boston's Fish House on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. You missed the mark by not ordering the Ipswich fried clams! They are the best whole belly fried clams in the south that I have found. Being a Yankee and a foodie, that's the best New England fried food that I've had in Florida to date - and I've had it many times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Linda on this one, Yes, I too am a native to Massachusetts(Coastal) and go back 4-5 times a year and I always get my fill back home, But between those times,I get my fill at Boston's Fish House! No place like it in Florida! And yes, The Ipswich fried clams are the best!! Now all we need down here are large Quahogs.

    ReplyDelete