Sunday, October 4, 2009

Aunt Catfish's on the River


Note to self: call ahead for seating next time. Aunt Catfish's is a popular place for a reason, and we did have a bit of a wait. The originally stated 1:20 wait ended up being about 40 minutes, and the beautiful evening and walkway out over the Halifax River (Intracoastal waterway) made for a very pleasant wait. 

We were fortunate to be seated outside as well, on a gorgeous Saturday evening. Service was prompt, attentive, and full of advice! My friend quickly ordered the Lobster special, a whole Maine lobster (around a pound or so) with a side and the salad bar. It was very good.

I originally was going to order the Southern Style Rock Shrimp and Grits, but the waitress quickly nixed that, telling me there were much better selections on the menu. I appreciated the guidance and eventually settled on the 2-dozen Rock Shrimp, broiled, with garlic butter. They were very good, though on the smaller size. Still, they are in season now and fresh-caught off of Cape Canaveral, she said. They were indeed excellent. 

My go-with of Scalloped Tomatoes was good, nothing too out of the ordinary, but still quite tasty. The salad bar was awesome, very fresh with a nice selection. I also tried the "fixin's" bar which had awesome cheesy shrimp and grits, two types of coleslaw (the vinegar-based one very good), and some really good pork and beans. Good thing I took small portions of each, I had more than enough food to eat.

We started out meal with an appetizer trio: onion petals, chicken strips, and fried green tomatoes. They were all good, the onion and chicken pretty ordinary, but the fried green tomatoes were very good. I'd have liked them a bit thicker, but that's a personal preference.

The total bill for our meal came to about $53, and did not include any drinks (we'd ordered those at the bar during our wait). It was a good meal and worth it, I'd say. I recommend Aunt Catfish's, you won't be disappointed nor go away hungry!
Aunt Catfish's On the River on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment