Monday, August 3, 2009

The Comet


I had lunch at The Comet on Milwaukee's lower east side today, and it was excellent. I had first heard of The Comet on a Food Network show, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Having been raised in the Milwaukee area and having lived on the lower east side when I was younger, my interest was piqued. So when visiting in town and my sister asked where I wanted to go for lunch, I immediately suggested this place. We were not disappointed.

I started with a bowl of Tomato soup. It was rich and creamy with a very nice, clean tomato flavor. Next I had a side salad with ginger dressing. Yumm. But the star was my entree, AJ's Compact Turkey Dinner--three battered and deep fried balls of turkey, dressing, and mashed potatoes, covered in gravy. It was to die for. What a fantastic concept. I'd like to reproduce this at home. I'd certainly come back to eat it again--though the menu was chock-full of things that sounded very tasty. And nothing on the menu was more than $10.

My sister had the fish and chips and pronounced it a success as well.

The Comet is a restaurant by day and apparently a bar or local hangout by night, serving a nice assortment of bottled beers, and some on tap, as well as wine and a full bar. It was a pleasant place and quite busy when we arrived right at noon. Milwaukee, you have a little gem here, I hope you appreciate it. I know I sure did. Total bill was about $27, not bad for a great meal. Definitely good eats!
Comet Cafe on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment