Sunday, August 30, 2009

La Bamba III

I had heard of La Bamba somewhere, and a friend and I decided to give it a try when we were in Fort Lauderdale. We are glad we did.

La Bamba III is a nice place, quite dark inside, but we were greeted warmly and seated promptly. Within second a basket of homemade tortilla chips appeared along with three bowls of salsa, one hot, two mild. First the hot--it was fairly hot and very tasty with a nice on-the-tongue burn--very good salsa. The mild was extremely mild and ordinary, mostly tasting of tomato and cilantro. Probably good for a lot of mild American tastes. A bit of mixing of the two was nice as well.

Our waitress brought the drinks promptly and took our order. My friend ordered the Masa de Puerca, a lunch portion. I ordered Enchiladas Verde, a dinner portion. The waitress asked if I wanted the lunch portion, one enchilada. My experience is that normally enchiladas are quite small, so I chose the dinner portion of two. Big mistake. I'll explain in a second.

The Masa de Puerca was pork that was deep fried. It was excellent and a huge portion. It was served with black beans and white rice, and plantains. They were all very good. My friend raved about the pork, though, and I tasted it--truly excellent.

My enchilada verde arrived. They were huge! Two huge enchiladas covered with verde (tomatillo based sauce). They were filled with huge pieces of tender chicken. The plate also included a mound of yellow rice and refried beans, and was covered in cheese. It was all sooo good. But very filling. I only ate half of it and was stuffed. I should have ordered the lunch portion!

The meal, the service, the decor, the ambience, the food, all were very good. I'd eat here again and again if I had the chance and I certainly recommend it highly. Good mexican/spanish food at a decent price. wow!

La Bamba III on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment